Our future energy system is challenged by the integration of high shares of fluctuating renewable energy sources in the distribution grid. Additionally, the rapidly progressing electrification of sectors such as heating and mobility, through the increasing demand for heat pumps and electric vehicles, also requires smart solutions.
Creos contributes to the energy transition by reinforcing the grid and investing in smart and flexible grid components. However, a successful energy transition also requires the active participation of energy consumers – providing flexibility to the grid when necessary and benefiting from it.
Through the flexible adaptation of the electricity demand in households, industries, SMEs and mobility, the grid operators could optimize the use of their grid capacity. The potential of this flexibility is currently unknown (at local level) and depends on technical aspects, user behaviour and market / economic factors.
The aim of this project is the investigation and modelling of the flexibility potential in households, industry, SMEs and the e-mobility sector, considering different perspectives:
- technical dimension of flexibility, its potential and limitations
- behavioural aspects of consumers - their influence, knowledge and motivation regarding flexibility provision
- economic and market perspectives, to assess the influence of future market developments on customer flexibility
In this joint research project, the multidisciplinary project team consists of energy experts from Creos and researchers from LIST (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology), and the University of Luxembourg (SnT (Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust) department). Creos contributes throughout the project with its expertise in the energy sector. Researchers from ERIN (Environmental Research and Innovation) are developing a model to estimate the technical availability of flexibility from households, industry, SMEs and e-mobility sector. IT and social scientists from ITIS (IT for Innovative Services) conduct surveys to get insights in user behaviour and will develop user models to better assess how to motivate consumers to actively participate in flexibility provision. Our partners at SnT model the influences of economic aspects and relate the user behaviour to the market environment.
Flexibility is becoming the key aspect for the integration of a high share of renewable energies and will be crucial to prepare our grid for electromobility. The project will directly lead to
- a better understanding of the amount of flexibility that could be expected from households, as well as different sectors in the industry and SMEs, and when it could be available.
- more insights in the motivation and concerns of different stakeholders, to potentially provide flexibility to the energy system
- the value of flexibility and how the potential could be mobilized by market-based incentives.
In the long run, the FlexBeAn project targets to contribute to
- the active participation of prosumers (households), SMEs, industry and e-mobility stakeholders in the energy transition, to become an active participant in the energy market.
- the economic optimisation of grid assets (on side of DSOs) as well as the distributed energy resources (PV, batteries, demand side management) at the premises of prosumers and companies.
- the attenuation of potentially rising grid fees, caused by the necessary investments of the grid operators to enable the energy transition.
- the reduction of the carbon footprint of our energy consumption (faster) by accelerating the energy transition e.g. by deferring grid investments without hampering the increased integration of renewable energy sources
Let's join forces to enable the energy transition in Luxembourg! Contribute your part to the FlexBeAn project, be it as a private household, industry or SME / other business. For household consumers, a questionnaire will be available soon to assess their flexibility potential. Additionally, there will be a possibility to support the researchers from LIST by subscribing to their service at the Smarty+ platform.